I was floored (or is it flawed?) when the conversation turned to “strong leadership”. I was asked, “What does strong leadership look like to you?” Well, I know that strong leadership doesn’t look like Boris or Donald, and that leadership can be shared, and that leaders should be as strong as they can be in the circumstances.
So I blathered – without realising that this really was a question to which Jesus is the answer.
What does strong leadership look like?
- It looks like Jesus on a cross (is that cross a leadership vote?)
- It looks like Jesus unafraid of nature’s forces
- It looks like Jesus turning his back on the religious and political capital
- It looks like love for the most demonised, ostracised and marginalised
- It looks like Jesus bent refreshing the feet of weary travellers
- It looks like a touch, and feels like a breath
- It looks like a gathering treasuring wisdom
- It looks playfully relaxed with time to rest and pray
- It looks like it can endure tyranny as long as tyranny lasts
- It looks like it’s been to hell and back
- It looks out for the broken
- It looks broken
- It is scarred
What does strong leadership look like to you?