Professionally speaking: is that speaking well, or is that being paid for speaking?
Speaking well: is that speaking without hesitation, notes or blasphemy, or is it speaking truthfully?
In what sense has Sir Alex Ferguson been a professional football manager?
There is a sense of professionalism which comes from a realisation which is personally transformative and attitudinal. This is the sense which is behind the religious profession through which a person gives themselves utterly because of that realisation and profession. Here’s my starter for eight about such a professional life. Can anyone help me to make it a starter for ten?
- Professionals are driven by values that go to the core of their being. Their motivation comes from this inner sense of values.
- Professionals profess those values in their practice.
- Professionals enjoy their busyness when they can profess their faith, but become anxious when they lose sight of these guiding principles in their busyness – when practice prevents profession.
- Professionals are preoccupied by their profession at all times. They occasionally switch off when fully engaged by something else.
- Professionals choose an enabling lifestyle.
- Professionals develop disciplines to make themselves resourceful and effective.
- Professionals don’t count working hours or kill time. They are intrigued by opportunities. Kairos beats Chronos every time.
- Professionals cultivate their values as best friends. Continuing professional development is not an option but a natural course of action.